With its unique make-up of Norwegian and German history, main street renovations, and nest of working artists, Clifton has long been known in the region as a cultural magnet. In 2011, the city was officially designated a Cultural District by the Texas Commission on the Arts and the State of Texas. According to the Commission, “Cultural districts are special zones that harness the power of cultural resources to stimulate economic development and community revitalization.” Clifton is a terrific example of a place where this strategy has worked. The Texas Cultural Trust quoted, “The arts have helped transform downtown Clifton, Texas, from dead to dynamic.”
Located right next door to the Bosque Arts Center and the Bosque Museum, and just a few blocks from the historic downtown that has sprung to life with art galleries, restaurants, retail shops and the beautifully renovated CLIFTEX movie theater, the residents of Lutheran Sunset Ministries have access to an endless array of cultural opportunities.
Here are just a few of the area’s events and venues enriching our residents’ lives:
Annual Arts Events
- Photography Show: This event held every March features local photographers in two separate shows: the Bosque County Show and the Bosque Student Show (K-12). It is held at the Bosque Arts Center.
- Big Event: This annual fundraiser held in April has become a two-day event featuring a concert on one night, and live auction and dinner on the second night.
- Bosque Valley Artisans Show & Sale: This May event features artworks such as sculpture, fiber arts, metalwork, woodwork, ceramics, pottery and more by local artists. It is held in downtown Clifton.
- Bosque Art Classic: This national art show and sale happens every September. It includes oil/acrylic, pastel, drawing, sculpture and water media, and is held at the Bosque Arts Center.
- Bosque Art Club Show: The Bosque Art Club hosts an annual art show and sale, including a student show, every October in conjunction with FallFest. It is held at the Clifton Civic Center.
- Arts of Christmas: Every December, in conjunction with the Country Christmas Home Tour, shoppers may find one-of-a-kind handmade gifts and treats at the Bosque Arts Center.
- Bosque Museum: The museum, which has significant collections of regional and national importance, hosts a continuing speaker’s series throughout the year and is an important source of continuing in the community.
- Bosque Arts Center: The Center is a fine arts complex known for its extensive art collections, live theatre, photography exhibits, art club, culinary club, pottery guild, and civic music association
- Tin Building Theatre: The theatre, located at the Bosque Arts Center, is a community run dinner theatre with a full season of family-friendly comedies and dramas.
- Bosque Arts Center Civic Music Association: The association holds a bi-monthly meeting with a concert open to the public.
- Bosque County Chorale: The organization holds concerts in the Spring, Fall and Winter.
- Performing Arts Academy: The academy offers dance classes for all ages.
- CLIFTEX Theatre: The newly renovated theatre is the oldest, continually running movie theater in Texas. It shows the latest releases, and Thursday night is adult-only move night.
- Clifton Main Street offers residents free outdoor concerts during Plaza Nights, held in the center of town at Heritage Plaza during the summer months.